top of page

Santa Monica Conservancy Honors Seven Preservation Award Winners


The Bay Cities Guaranty Building (Clock Tower), left, at 225 Santa Monica Blvd., was recognized with a Rehabilitation Award. The building now looks like new thanks to KC Restoration. Part of their crew is shown at work.

The Santa Monica Conservancy recently recognized seven exemplary contributors to the preservation of Santa Monica’s architectural and cultural heritage at its Annual Spring Meeting and Preservation Awards event.

The awards were announced by members of the Awards Committee including David Kaplan (chair), Margarita Jerabek, Ruthann Lehrer, and Carol Lemlein. Mayor Phil Brock and Conservancy Board President Tom Cleys presented the awards to each project team and individual honoree.

Bay Cities Guaranty Building. Photos by Kaden Lehne

These seven projects demonstrate that the field of historic preservation in Santa Monica is multidisciplinary, collaborative, creative, and rooted in authentic storytelling about people and places.

The winners were: The David Cameron Award - Peyton Hall, FAIA; Cultural Heritage Award - Kuruvungna Springs, 1439 S Barrington Ave., Los Angeles; Rehabilitation Award - Bay Cities Guaranty Building (Clock Tower), 225 Santa Monica Blvd; Adaptive Reuse Award - Barker Hangar, 3012 Airport Ave.; Stewardship Award - Philomathean Charity Club, 1810 Broadway; Rehabilitation Award - Marion Davies Guest House Flooring Project at the Annenberg Community Beach House, 415 Pacific Coast Highway; and Volunteer Award - Michael Burton.

The Stewardship award recognizes both the significant role of the Philomathean Club in the Broadway Community for over 100 years, and the preservation of Philomathean Hall, which embodies this significant cultural heritage.

The Mid-Century Modern Club House or Hall, was completed in 1958 at 1810 Broadway. It was the organization’s first purpose- built social hall and office space and includes two commercial spaces still used as a barber shop and beauty salon.

Founded in 1921 during the suffrage movement, the Philomathean Charity Literary & Art Club has been dedicated to supporting education, arts, culture, and charitable work for over 100 years. The Club still serves a key role providing services that are otherwise unavailable to the community. For example, the retail rents from Philomathean Hall are used to award scholarships.


Earlier members of the Philomatheans (1940s-1950s). The Stewardship Award was presented to members of the Philomathean Charity Club for 1810 Broadway. Chair of the Board Lee Bertha Pickett-Allen and President Oweda Shipp accepted the award for the Club. Image courtesy of the Quinn Research Center.

The Club’s nomination of the Hall is crucial for many reasons, including bringing community recognition to the historic Broadway Community which was destroyed to make way for the Santa Monica Freeway.

For more information about the Santa Monica Conservancy, their tours and programs, go to www.smconservancy.org, or call 310-496-3146.



The Barker Hangar (pictured on left) has been owned by the Barker family since 1969. It had originally been built for Bill Lear, inventor of the Lear Jet. Thanks to her family, and now Judi Barker, it is one of the most versatile entertainment venues on the Westside.

12 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page