Our Chef Jahrid Longsworth, a resident of the Pico neighborhood and a middle school student, decided to make Dairy Free Cheese Quesadillas, a festive entrée for a family celebration. We hope you will enjoy them as much as his family did.
Dairy Free Cheese Quesadillas
4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
1 cup grated Almond Mozzarella cheese
4 Tbsps. vegan butter
Salsa, for garnish
Guacamole, for garnish
Optional: Chicken, Steak, or Shrimp
1. Lay the tortillas flat on a cookie sheet.
2. Sprinkle some of the cheese on one half of each tortilla. Try not to get it too close to the edge.
3. Fold the tortillas in half over the cheese to make a half-moon.
4. Warm a skillet over low heat and add 1 tablespoon of the butter.
5. Add the tortilla to the skillet and cook until it is lightly brown, about 2 minutes.
6. Using a spatula, gently lift the edge so you can check. When one side is brown, turn the tortilla over and cook the other side until brown and the cheese is melted.
7. Use a spatula to transfer to individual plates or a large platter. Repeat with remaining butter and tortillas.
8. Top with salsa and guacamole. Enjoy!
Dairy-Free Living Column:
By Jahrid Longsworth