Our local Chef Jahrid Longsworth was thinking about a dish to make for lunch while he is doing his distance learning in middle school. This recipe can be fried or baked.
Chicken Taquitos (with dairy free cheese)
3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tsps. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups shredded mozzarella dairy free cheese
15 small corn tortillas
Oil if frying
Cooking spray if baking
• Place the chicken, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, cheddar and cheese in a bowl. Stir until combined.
• Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and place on a plate. Microwave for 1 minute or until tortillas are warm and soft.
Lay out the tortillas on a flat surface and divide the chicken and cheese mixture among the 15 tortillas. Roll up each tortilla tightly and secure with a toothpick.
• To fry the taquitos: Heat oil in a deep pan. Add 3-4 taquitos and fry until crisp and golden brown, 3-5 minutes.
• To bake the taquitos: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the taquitos in a single layer on a sheet pan coated with cooking spray. Spray the tops of the
taquitos with the cooking spray.
• Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
• Remove toothpicks, then serve.
Enjoy with your favorite salsa!