As we approach All Hallows Eve, most of us probably assumed that we would be back to “normal” now and our Halloween festivities would go forth as usual. Well, I think we can agree that things remain anything but “normal!”
Don’t let the Coronavirus scare you out of Halloween fun. It is still possible to enjoy the tricks and treats of the season. You just have to improvise. Here are five ideas for how to do that:
1) Throw a Halloween ZOOM party. Tell each guest to wear a costume and have their favorite treats nearby. Then, go around the ZOOM room telling your favorite ghost stories.
2) Host a Facebook Costume Contest. Invite your friends to post pictures of themselves in costumes and vote for their favorites. Create categories, such as Scariest Costume, Most Creative Costume, or Silliest Costume and email “prizes” to the winners.
3) Watch a Scary Movie, or two, or three if you dare. Rent your favorite scary movies and have a monster marathon.
4) Fill your playlist with Spooky tunes and dance the night away. Monster Mash anyone?
5) Hold a Jack O’ Lantern Contest. Carve or paint a pumpkin and ask others to do the same, then invite them to share their creations with you on Google Meet.
If you do choose to go out trick-or-treating or attend a Halloween event, be sure to be safe. Remember to wear a mask, socially distance, wash your hands often, and use lots of hand sanitizer.
The mask part should be easy. It’s Halloween after all!
By Dr. Sheila Forman
Dr. Forman is a clinical psychologist who is currently seeing all her clients via teletherapy. For more information, call 310-828-8004, or go to www.DrSheilaForman.com.